Thursday, August 25, 2005

Marriage: the picture of Christian salvation

I guess it's a good thing I'm still single since I'm definitely not Christian and U.S. Rep. John Hostettler says "the picture of marriage is the picture of Christian salvation" and that any "diminishing of that notion" is something public policy must fight. He also likened divorce to gay marriage, which is a "degradation of marriage".
Hostettler, who spoke to an Indiana Family Institute program at Crossroads Christian Church in Evansville, also said religious faith needs to have a greater presence in public policy decisions.
I guess Hostettler says this because religious faith can ensure the stability of marriage, just like it did for Christian music star Jaci Velasquez who married Darren Poteck 16 August 2003 [emphasis added]

When my husband and I started out as newlyweds, we were like all newlyweds, wanting that dream marriage," Velasquez said. "Somehow, things took a turn and we have ended up in divorce."

[snip]

"I sought counseling," said the 25-year-old singer, "but the painful truth is that our marriage didn't work out. I've had such a difficult time with this. My heart hurt so badly that I felt like I wanted to crawl under a rock and just die. I can't say that I have ever felt such pain before. My heart literally felt like it was breaking in half."

For some reason, I can't help but disagree with Hostettler.

Tags: ;; ; ; ;;

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: